Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thing 18 – Facebook and Myspace

Okay, so I started a Facebook profile. Will I do anything with it beyond 23 Things? I doubt it. I am not a “Social Networker” in the true sense of the word. I don’t live on my Facebook and I don’t even own a Myspace. I understand what a great networking tool this is for things beyond finding friends, but it’s not what I need or want. I simply have other more important things I’d rather do in my free time than update my profile, write on other’s walls, etc. I think that if I was younger… say in high school or college, this might appeal to me more as a way to staying in touch or some such. It was interesting to see how many people from my graduating class of 87 have a presence on Facebook. .

So, while I don’t personally want to keep a Facebook or Myspace, I can’t deny that there are millions of folks that eat, sleep and breathe on these social networks. As such, I feel that Libraries need to maintain a presence on these sites as a means of communicating with this generation of patrons. Libraries need to be where the patrons are and provide services that patrons need. Social Networking sites are an easy way to supplement your own website and communicate information about your organization, services. Social Networking sites do this in a manner that facilitates two way communications with your patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment